My doctor and his nurses were really nice and arranged for me to come in this afternoon to talk to them. One of the nurses I spoke with had RK a long time ago, which was a precursor to the LASIK techniques used now (I think). The other nurse had PRK with a much worse prescription than I have, which is a little scary because I can't see two inches past my nose without glasses.
They calmed me down a lot and assured me that despite what I might have read on the internet, PRK was not as bad as I thought. They told me that 75% of their patients come in the next day feeling pretty good and many didn't even need their pain medication (which is basically Demoral). 25% come in looking beat up and uncomfortable and so they go home and take more meds and sleep the next day. Almost everyone is okay the day after.
They also said that I'd be seeing pretty well almost immediately and that by one month my results would be the same as someone with LASIK. The nurse said that driving would be annoying for 2 to 3 weeks and compared it to wearing an old pair of glasses, but that talking to people, watching tv, etc....would be fine. Driving at night will be difficult for several weeks, but I rarely drive at night anyway. I will probably have halos, but according to the nurse they won't be really annoying and will fade over time. Hopefully I'll be able to swim by the time we go away at the end of August.
I don't know. I felt better about it after leaving and I guess I'm going to do it, but writing it all out makes me feel like I'm crazy! I told Marc I should look at it not like I'm having surgery but that I'm getting some really good drugs. But yeah. That's not really working for me. Maybe because feeling like I have sand in my eye sort of cancels out the wheeeeee of narcotics.
Yikes. I guess I'm going to do it and I am SCARED!!!!!! I might as well follow up tomorrow and after I have the surg.....let's just call it a procedure.
Gulp. And double gulp.
Tuesday, July 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Good luck! No friggin' way anyone is coming near my eyes with a laser. But I have weird idiosyncrasy with my eyes. Everyone I know who has done it though has loved it.
Post a Comment