Friday, October 10, 2008

Potty Training!

Gideon is potty training. Yeah!

I've tried like four times before and always gave up after a couple of hours and pee all over the floor, but I found out the other day that 3/4ths of his class were in underpants, and I didn't want Gideon to be the last one. Plus, we go on our Disney cruise in December and I really want him to be able to go in the kids' club. He had to be potty trained and able to pull his pants up and down by himself.

I wish I could say that I pleasantly got him to do it. I tried. I really did. At first I tried games and wheedling and candy and being nice. None of that worked. I basically had to harass my child into peeing on the potty. Seriously. I sounded like Joan Crawford. NO WIRE HANGARS!!!! And being mean totally worked. He peed and it's been going pretty well since then. That was Wednesday. He's had a couple of accidents, but for the most part he's going to the potty. I even took him to temple yesterday in underpants without an accident. And he made it through school today without one either.

However...he's not telling us when he needs to go. So really, I'm probably the one who is trained. I just take him every hour or so and make him try. I think if he was really trained, he'd ask me. He also doesn't want to poop in the potty. But one thing at a time!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It took K about a week or so after we started using the potty to start asking to go. He'll start doing it. I think it just takes a little time for it to sink in that he should ask when he feels the urge.

Congrats on potty!!

Sweet Coalminer said...

It will happen. It's very exciting. We were where you are, and Mimi got tired of all the pressure. But it worked itself out.

Although, as Kathy pointed out to me, once they are potty trained, you will have to take him to the potty at the single most inopportune moments.