Monday, October 27, 2008

My Name in Lights

Okay...My name in text.

So, I've been calling my friends all day and feeling very excited. But the truth is that as excited as I am...I mean...these are the first two contests I ever entered...the first book I actually FINISHED (unless you count the collection of short stories I did for my graduate thesis)...the truth is that the major point for me in submitting to these contests was to get my book read by editors and agents.

What would really be a win is if the editor liked my story and asked for a full manuscript. So now I have a couple of weeks to pretend like she's going to do that and make sure my book is in tip top shape.

One bad thing is that I didn't pay enough attention and I realized that the same judge is judging both of the contests. So if she likes my story that's great. If not, I'm kind of doubly screwed. But one contest has both an editor and an agent, so that's a positive.

I'm still sort of amused that I may be kind of good at this romance thing because I was always such a literary snob. I'm sort of dying to publish and ask NYU to put me on their alumni publications page. Ha ha. But I suppose the truth is that even when I was writing "serious" fiction, I seriously liked writing about romance and sex. It was just dark, miserable, obsessive romance and sex.

I know I'm going to get a giant kick in the pants for feeling so damned great today, but bring it on. I can't help it. It was a good day.