Monday, September 8, 2008

A House Hunting We Will Go

We went back to look at "the perfect house" again today and realized it's not so perfect after all. It is a gorgeous house in many ways, but it also doesn't meet our needs in a lot of ways as well. We also looked at some other houses in the same neighborhood, and while they were all beautiful..or at least big...they weren't what we're looking for.

Anyway, we realized that if we want to buy any house we're going to have to sell our house first. We don't want to have to carry two mortgages because the market is slow.

So I think we've decided to put our house on the market and see what happens. If someone makes an offer, that's great. But if not, we won't be under any pressure. And we can continue to look until we see something awesome and then pounce on it.

So today I pulled up all the gross weeds in our back vegetable beds that had sort of taken over in the last year. I also went up into the attic inferno and pulled down all of Gideon's baby clothes, my maternity clothes and all the clothes I'd meant to give away several times but then backed out at the last minute. I boxed up and labeled Gideon's clothes and my maternity clothes (just in case) and then put all the clothes I'd meant to give away in my van to take to goodwill tomorrow. Then I straightened up Gideon's room and organized things so they were showroom ready.

My plan is to take one room at a time each day and get it looking great. We go to a bar mitzvah out of town this weekend. I don't know how long it should take to get a house ready to sell, but I'm pretty neat and organized and we keep up on house projects, so I don't think it should take too long. For those who have sold a house, how long did it take to get it ready?

Then I guess we see what happens! Exciting but scary too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is very exciting! It didn't take us too long to get our house ready...but it was more a matter of cleaning it than having to do major stuff.

A few tips for selling: Take the screens out of the windows to brighten the light into the house.

Keep the shades open during showings.

Put a 2000 Flushes tab in each toilet to prevent having to scrub the toilet last minute.

Keep counter wipes under each sink for last minute wipe-downs.

Put G's toys in big bins that you can stack.

Good luck! I can't wait to hear how it goes.