Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Happy New Year?

Let's see. It's raining. I woke up to a whining, tantruming child (not anything new these days) and realized my throat is sore. And what else? Oh yes. The entire US economic system is apparently on the verge of collapse! My mother is freaked out about her job. My father is afraid of losing all his savings. And I'm just glad that software can always be translated into Chinese!

I've been watching the news a lot to try to understand exactly why we need this bailout. I keep hearing a lot about 'main street' and about how credit will seize up--how people need credit to buy homes and small businesses need credit to finance operations. I guess I'm naive. I'm sure it's all more complicated than I realize, but I thought too much borrowing is what got us into this mess to begin with! If a small business needs to keep borrowing to finance operations, doesn't that mean there is a problem with the business? And it's not exactly like the real estate market has been very hot lately. All of sudden it will be hard to sell your house? I thought it's been hard for the last year or so. I also have trouble buying that no one will be able to get loans. There will always be people who are willing to lend money. Maybe as a nation we borrow too much money!

I know it's not that simple. It's all some big ponzi scheme using a bunch of big numbers that make no sense to an average schlub like me (who is admittedly not very good at math). But I think that's screwed up. Should it be that complicated? Why can't I find anyone who can accurately explain exactly what's going on and predict with some specificity what might happen. All I read and see are generalities and hyperbole.

And what is this world coming to when I find myself agreeing with the Republicans! (Actually, I probably would be a Republican if the Republicans as a whole were who they said they were.) I guess there's no chance that Obama and McCain might bow out so Hillary could step in? I wish I felt better about either one of these candidates.