Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy Child Abuse to All and to All a Miserable Lonely Death

What's up with all the horrible movies about awful things happening to children? And around the holidays no less?

First I saw Slumdog Millionaire, which was good, but I literally had to hide my eyes for a scene. And then last night we 'celebrated' New Years' Eve by seeing The Curious Case of Benjamin Button in which I learned that we all die and that love is fleeting and bound to end badly.

Oh, thanks. Like I didn't know that already and really needed reminding of it.

I think that was the first movie I saw that caused me to spontaneously erupt in tears ten minutes AFTER it was over.

I used to take great joy in teasing my mother because she refused to see depressing movies. She liked action movies because the bad guys always get their comeuppance. Now I have officially become my mother. Why do I want to see something depressing? Like life isn't depressing enough?

--Although I did just read The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson, which was good, but also depressing. Good read. Bad ending. And now I've started The Widows of Eastwick. 1/4th of the way through I realized that I never actually read the first one. I just saw the movie. (Not depressing. Probably bad, but seemed sexy and daring when I was like 11.)

Actually, I'm kind of sickeningly happy these days, which is probably why I don't want to be reminded that things always change. If I'm so happy, there's bound to be some misery lurking just around the corner.

1 comment:

Cate said...

I am the same way now. Seeing previews for The Wrestler on Saturday night was almost my undoing.