Thursday, December 18, 2008

Beachy Keen

Before I was born my parents lived in Virginia Beach for a time. My dad was in the navy. Then for several years they split their time between Richmond and the beach. They owned...own...a small ranch house near the bay, and I have vague memories of it. But we stopped going by the time I entered kindergarten. And since then they've rented the house out.

My dad told me tonight that the current tenants, who have been there for the last 12 years, are leaving. And he asked whether we'd like to keep the house. We wouldn't own it (until I inherit it), but it would be ours to use if we paid for the upkeep, taxes and insurance.

Marc and I loved going to the beach last year. The whole oceanfront area has become really family friendly. There were street performers and fireworks and bike rentals. And I've kind of harbored this fantasy that my dad would offer us the use of the house--even though you have to drive to the oceanfront area. It's too far to walk or bike.

There is a park nearby with bike trails and the bay is within walking distance, although I really don't like to swim in anything other than pools! I like looking at the water, though. We could also take Lulu and Taz. I'm pretty sure the yard is even fenced.

The house is small. 972 square feet, according to Zillow and I'm pretty sure it has not been updated in FOREVER, so I don't want to get my hopes up. We could look at it and be overwhelmed. But right now I'm having a wonderful romantic fantasy about our cozy beach house and summers at the beach! We'll go down and take a look at it at the end of December. Right now I'll just keep the dream alive! :)

No comments: